The Top 10 Self-Love Songs of 2019
Can you believe that it is almost 2020? This year truly flew by. It was a fantastic one though. Great entertainment, meaningful movements, and many leaps and bounds for womankind. Much of the music this year had this theme. 2019 was THE year for learning how to love yourself and the following songs reflect this.
These are the top 10 self-love songs of the year.
10. Taylor Swift - MeLooking at her now, it is hard to imagine her being that sweet little country girl she started out as. Being one of only a few artists to successfully cross genres, Taylor has definitely made it to superstar status. She is massively talented and puts out songs that make you feel proud to be you. ‘Me!’ was released on April 26, 2019, and features the lead singer of Panic at the Disco, Brendon Urie. It is a great, catchy song that just makes you feel good.
09. Miley Cyrus - Mother's DaughterWhen you think of fierce, fearless women, Miley Cyrus is definitely in the top ten. Surpassing her famous father, Billy Ray, Miley has had hit after hit. Always bold and in your face, ‘Mothers Daughter’ is definitely no exception. It hits hard and doesn’t stop until you feel the need to love yourself.
08. Kristin Chenoweth ft Ariana Grande- You Don’t Own MeThat old saying ‘Dynamite comes in small packages’, certainly rings true when it comes to the pint-sized powerhouse, Ariana Grande. She teams up with award-winning actress, Kristin Chenoweth, to cover this timeless classic. Kristin takes the lead and really holds her own alongside Ariana. The lyrics still hit home and these ladies really knock this one out of the park.
07. Halsey - NightmareHalsey can literally do no wrong. Look up strong female and her picture will be there (ok, not really, but it should be). Everything Halsey has released since she came on the scene packs a punch, however, ‘Nightmare’ hits the nail on the head. It is feisty and doesn’t back down, kind of like Halsey herself. We see you, girl.
06. Lizzo - SoulmateLizzo exploded on the scene with women all over the world resonating with her self-love philosophies. Both her lyrics and her body-positive attitude speaks to many women. Now is the time for women’s voices to be heard and Lizzo is taking the lead. Only she can call herself her own soulmate without sounding horrifically corny.
05. Ariana Grande - 7 Rings‘7 Rings’ is one of the best self-love songs of the year. It is fun, sassy, and stays with you, making you feel good long after it is over. “I want it, I got it”... The ultimate message serves to remind you to never forget your true self-worth. Good luck getting this one out of your head.
04. Avril Lavigne and Nicki Minaj - Dumb BlondeWhat do you get when a punk rock princess meets one of raps leading ladies? One of the greatest songs of 2019. ‘Dumb Blonde’ is in your face and proud of it. With self-affirming lyrics such as “I’m a babe, I’m a boss”, you can’t help but feel all-powerful when you listen to this self-loving gem.
03. BeBe Rehxa - Girl in the Mirror‘I wanna be like the girl in the mirror’, this spirited number was featured in the kids’ movie ‘Ugly Dolls’. It is cute, upbeat, and perfectly punctuated with Ms. Rehxa's quirky, but strong, vocals. It sends a great message about self-empowerment while still managing to be catchy and fun.
2. Taylor Swift - You Need to Calm DownTaylor Swift makes the list again with her charming and infectious self-care tune, ‘You Need to Calm Down’. In true Swifty style, she makes sure to send a shout-out to GLAAD while making it known that self-love should never discriminate. People really do need to calm down. Preach TayTay!
01. Lizzo - Juice
I think it’s safe to say that 2019 was THE year of Lizzo. Released on January 4, 2019, ‘Juice’ is a bouncy ride with witty lyrics and a confidence-boosting directive. It hit the masses hard, being dubbed by some as the ultimate self-esteem anthem. She is sassy and a whole lotta fun and never fails to remind us of our own worth. Lizzo, you’re the best, although I’m sure you already know that.
There you have it, the best of 2019. It has been a heck of a ride and these jams made it that much better. They taught us the new ‘in thing’ is to love yourself. Accepting your flaws and being happy with who you are. The next time you are feeling a bit down, listen to this playlist and remember just how incredible you truly are.
Image Credit: Lizzo Music/Youtube